1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

60:00 Timer

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by NaturalCauzes, Jul 14, 2015.

1. Wizz4rd

Wizz4rd Members

Exactly.

2. Khadgar

Khadgar The Archmage

Depends on how much time you have. You can branch it on paper and then translate into the map.

3. Cheekything

Cheekything Cuddlybear Extraordinare!
    Staff Member Member

Depends on how much time you have. You can branch it on paper and then translate into the map.

It would lead to static, repetitive game play. It is certainly possible to make one that takes into account every variable but no one has the time to do that which is why we don't have AI.

DaveAzoicer likes this.
  4. Th3.GH0sT.R1DeR

Th3.GH0sT.R1DeR Virtual Titan
    Veteran Forum Member

In my opinion the reason why the 60 minute timer isn't currently fair is because isn't having any disadvantages on humans side. So, how about maybe to leave the end as it is, but in return to give the vampires something of simular worth?

For example, desperation effect as increased attack and movement speed at 50 minute. And then the vampires to die from hunger if humans manage to survive.
    I think that something like this may even make the game more exciting.

5. Cheekything

Cheekything Cuddlybear Extraordinare!
    Staff Member Member

Timed events cause weird lulls in the game where you have vampires just waiting around for it to happen. It should preferably be an active even that the Vampire has to trigger.

Also the time limit isn't a "suggestion" it is a "this is where no game should be getting to" ideally a game should be ending within 40 minutes and 30 minutes average would be honestly preferable.

One of the issues of the current game design is that most people don't even consider winning early because they want to get to the late game and feel powerful and this needs to change, by forcing the vampires to change their way of playing it should make the game quicker and hopefully cause more metas to develop.

DaveAzoicer likes this.
  6. Jamdog

Jamdog Members

Any decent vampire that CAN take a game that late and feel powerful wouldn't, they'd end the game as soon as possible. Also, humans aren't forced to sit through a game that vampires are already winning.

Also, the timer really does kill certain strategies. Say you're vampire and you've been struggling to break a base since the 35 minute mark. You decide to get a cloak. You realise it's still not enough, but you do realise that the human's towers are doing barely any damage now, so you go back and buy a hellfire after getting one of those big sums you get every once in a while. Success! You've finally managed to break through a base and now you have feed from satyr harvesters and elite gold mines. You have about three cloaks now. There's just one problem though... There's 55 minutes left and the last human just built three walls. You'd be able to break through, but not within 5 minutes. Gg no re.

It's really annoying when the human's towers do almost no damage and you think of buying Hellfire, before you look at the timer. Then the humans only have to worry about tanking up as much as possible. Want to research Power of the Underworld? Sure, if you have enough time left. Want to get some infernals and take down a sapphire wall and use sphere? Sure, if you have enough time left. The timer basically kills these strategies.

And I mean seriously, humans really should win without the 60:00 timer anyways. If the humans are under so much pressure by the vampire and have progressed so slowly they can't get CoH by 60/70 minutes, there's probably still a very good chance for the vampire to win. All those games you hear about that go on for 4 hours? You know those are 5.10 games, yes?

7. DaveAzoicer

DaveAzoicer Alföðr - of Vampirism Fire
    Legend + Donator +

Any decent vampire that CAN take a game that late and feel powerful wouldn't, they'd end the game as soon as possible. Also, humans aren't forced to sit through a game that vampires are already winning.

Also, the timer really does kill certain strategies. Say you're vampire and you've been struggling to break a base since the 35 minute mark. You decide to get a cloak. You realise it's still not enough, but you do realise that the human's towers are doing barely any damage now, so you go back and buy a hellfire after getting one of those big sums you get every once in a while. Success! You've finally managed to break through a base and now you have feed from satyr harvesters and elite gold mines. You have about three cloaks now. There's just one problem though... There's 55 minutes left and the last human just built three walls. You'd be able to break through, but not within 5 minutes. Gg no re.

It's really annoying when the human's towers do almost no damage and you think of buying Hellfire, before you look at the timer. Then the humans only have to worry about tanking up as much as possible. Want to research Power of the Underworld? Sure, if you have enough time left. Want to get some infernals and take down a sapphire wall and use sphere? Sure, if you have enough time left. The timer basically kills these strategies.

And I mean seriously, humans really should win without the 60:00 timer anyways. If the humans are under so much pressure by the vampire and have progressed so slowly they can't get CoH by 60/70 minutes, there's probably still a very good chance for the vampire to win. All those games you hear about that go on for 4 hours? You know those are 5.10 games, yes?

That late and no damage means that the humans most likely dont fear the vampire, and the game is already over since at least 10 minutes ago.
    The 4+ hour games was awful, so much time wasted for me :(

8. DTox2k

DTox2k Members

The issue i have with the 60 minutes timer is that it actually gives humans incentive to prolong games...i just had a game where i killed the last human base around minute 40 and there was 1 human left who was jumping around and telling me he would still win that game. Actually im not even sure if prolong is the right term, since he had quite good chances, i was alone and it took me a few minutes to get him, some more and i'd lost. The timer just changes the human goal from "i need to kill vamp" to "i need to survive to minute 60", which i think isn't intended.

I think there should be a win condition for vamps to avoid this, maybe something like "if after min. 35 all citadels (and better) get destroyed, humans have x minutes to rebuild at least one or they die"

9. Archimonde

Archimonde Members

But even if there is citadel, maybe the human can just make 5 walls in 1 entrance to delay the vamp , no towers require because vamp will lose at 60 min
    With 5 diamond walls , even if the vamps actually win they cant break it before 60 min and gg they lose still because of timer.

10. Double D.

Double D. The guy with 2 Ds who loves Juke & Pedram + WW

With 5 diamond walls you can get 2 LOs or 1 ULO...

11. Legacy

Legacy The Smurf Killer and Lord of the Lords
    Legend Donator

Yeah but maybe that is not the strategy of Archimonde or maybe he just mentioned it to state his point, that you could just build multiple walls to prolong enough to win?

12. Double D.

Double D. The guy with 2 Ds who loves Juke & Pedram + WW

The point is if you can build enough defense to prolong you can very well just build the same amount of offense to actually defend your base...

DaveAzoicer likes this.
  13. King_Crusher

King_Crusher Firespawn Deforester

You can not prolong by building defences, because if you have a base, it is not prolonging, period. Remember that the prolonging rule is defined in a very specific manner.

DaveAzoicer likes this.
  14. Archimonde

Archimonde Members

The problem is humans only need walls now, dont need tower because vamp will die at 60 and if you only need to defend wall it is very easy, engineer , spam blood elf builders, slayer invul, kill felbeast or infernals with just 1 weak tower

And even if vamp can kill wall , it takes some time and I have games where I am attacking diamond wall to 5% hp and then it is 60 minutes i die a few second before I break the wall , and there are vamp strategies that is usually later than 55min so the timer just sucks

15. DaveAzoicer

DaveAzoicer Alföðr - of Vampirism Fire
    Legend + Donator +

No, there is no strategy except spamming underworld or other very expensive things after that time, since humans should have enough resources to properly setup their base to avoid the vast majority of all strategies vampires can use.

16. PhysiX

PhysiX Members

hi, please delete the 60min timer because just as the noobs like me finish getting base of operations, the game's over and we dont get to test the stuff :c, pls remove it if u can and if others want too only.

TakeThis likes this.
  17. NaturalCauzes

NaturalCauzes The Fallen Angel
    Guardians Legend Shaman SysOp VFG Members Moderator Champion

This has been discussed multiple times in multiple other topics. Just go find them in this section.

18. palou31

palou31 Members

If I can give my opinion. Timer is a very good thing. One of the reasons I stopped playing was duration of game. Some guys like me (I think) cant play 2 or 3 hours for a game without break : a little afk and i die/feed, or i have to leave (and i hate that :p)
    Now i know if i have one hour i can play a game !

Kronoss and DaveAzoicer like this.
  19. Wizz4rd

Wizz4rd Members

I totally agree.

20. Th3.GH0sT.R1DeR

Th3.GH0sT.R1DeR Virtual Titan
    Veteran Forum Member

Well, the only bad thing I find about the timer is that it goes only in humans favor. It would have been fair if it was ending the games as draw though.

But even now it has good sides as well, indeed.