1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Please help me improve.

Discussion in 'General Fire Chat' started by Rugarus, Apr 13, 2016.

1. Rugarus

Rugarus Firespawn Deforester
    Legend + Donator + Member

I hope to join the VFG team someday, but I really need to improve my skills.

I'm decent but I always seem to mess up in times when I had the resources not too and end up dying or base falls.

Here is my last game, I die late game because my slayer was silenced, also could of used diamond wall, but please watch the replay and tell me everything I can and should improve on.

It's not so much on what I needed to change to not die, I'm aware now that I just wasn't prepared for attack, I upgraded 2 more gold mines and then right after realized he was coming or me. But what should I do during the game to increase my resources when I get to late game.

Replay: http://www.mediafire.com/download/i50cqxxdn5bd66m/Help_me_improve.w3g

2. Graetgames

Graetgames Members

you need to build 1-3 gold mines in your base get a couple of mana-stealing towers and galacite towers, 1 flame tower, 1 blood tower, one venom tower, upgrade your wall block the holes or tree stumps with walls or wall towers (I prefer wall towers lol but that up to you) comet towers and spam voltage towers (or what ever they are called) and get a shop.

3. Rugarus

What time in the game are you talking about where I should have all thse towers/items?

4. vzk

vzk Members

The best thing for you is to watch pro humans playing and see what they do in what time so after many spec games you'll understand why they do things by exact order, do not copy them, play your style but learn the order build.

Rugarus likes this.
  5. ping

ping Active Member
    Staff Member SysOp Member

I wrote up a little "what to fix" guide below:

- 00:00-01:00
    o Try to spam more workers per house. You’re building 3 hours but only training 3-4 sets of workers.
    o And from that, you gotta spam a lot more workers. You should strive for max food by at least 0:40, while you were at 135/250 food by 0:50, which is way too low
    o The faster you max food capacity, the quicker your slayer time and initial wood research will be
    - 01:00-12:00
    o With mini-basing, you need to have 2-3 mini bases ready to create workers from so when the vampires destroy your mini bases and you have to detonate, you aren’t losing as much potential wood.
    o Try to push out your tents a little more when mini basing. The further the tents away from your houses are, the more time you have to prepare and detonate.
    o Again, you need to have a higher worker to house ratio with your mini bases. My personal setup for mini basing is to build 2 houses and train an even two sets of 6 workers.
    o I didn’t really see it much, but your slayer is the most overpowered unit in the early games. Use him to scout vampires, watch mid and check shops so you know what the vampires are buying, and most importantly for grabbing gold. My opinion is to avoid leaving your slayer in the slayers pool, and always keeping him at middle next to the mana fountain so you’ll always theoretically have max mana and you’ll be able to check the shops periodically and essentially figure out what the vampires are doing.
    - 12:00-24:00
    o This period humans need to focus on teching as quickly as possible. This may be hard to sometimes anticipate, but build just enough to defend against the vampires.
    o Build scout houses on the sides of your base to block shades and potential sphere attempt on your base. Also use scout houses at a nice distance from your base so you can properly prepare when the vampires come.
    o From an economy sense, don’t upgrade to an emerald wall unless you can no longer defend yourself with your human and two furbolgs repairing. You can figure this out if the vampire attacks you, or if you observe another player in the game failing to hold with a sapphire and he either starts the upgrade to an emerald wall, or his wall gets destroyed. Also in regards to economy sense, again, don’t get stronger towers until you 100% need it, and don’t waste too much on too many towers before 24 minutes. And wall towers; if you effectively scout, you can give yourself a good 20 seconds from when the vampire first attacks the house to the vampire reaching your wall, which is plenty of time to start the upgrade from sapphire to emerald.
    o Don’t bother with building feed boxes ontop of blood spots; it’s an easy 1000 wood you can save. If the vampires can afford a sphere before 24 minutes, then they most likely can afford either rain of inferno or burst gem. If you’re building feed boxes to block assassins, my recommendation is to build a setup of tents around your harvesters; assassins can’t jump over anything higher than two squares, allowing tents to be a cheap way to block them. In Vampirism Speed as an example, good humans would block their harvesters with two sets of slayers taverns surrounding their harvesters because assassins can’t jump over anything more than 6 squares. Furthermore, if you’re properly scouting around the edges of your base, then the vampire will most likely not come to you with a sphere first. Pro tips for vamping, if you’re going to surprise the humans, buy the sphere/remains as you’re teleporting to a shade. This will give you the element of surprise and they’re most likely not prepared. This can be countered as a human if you’re properly blocking your scout bases so shades can’t walk past them.
    o By 16 minutes, you slayer’s level was 9, which means you’ve missed 7 level attempts. The fast you reach level 10 or 20, the better you can defend yourself with invulnerability if the vampire attacks and you’re not prepared.
    o Another pro tip for everyone, do NOT block blood spots with fangs or humans. Cyclones have been reworked to essentially remove collision, which means humans and even vampires can walk on top of them; sphere should come to mind.
    o With the base you chose, or any bases in particular, try to exploit the walking distance vampires take to reach your wall. What I’m trying to say is you should build your towers as far away as possible from the wall, but still close enough to attack the vampires who are at your wall.
    o Don’t start getting towers or upgrading your wall until the 24 minute mark, or if the vampires are fed and are either buying lots of helms or several stat upgrades. Use the resources to focus on your teching.
    o With blocking the sides of your base, try to space out the walls so you’re leaving a gap in between each wall placement. As an example with your base, instead of building three walls to block the top right area of your base, you can gap the walls and only build 2, so you’re essentially saving yourself 6300 wood to spend on other means.
    - 24:00-36:00
    o I feel you upgraded to a ruby wall a little too early. Ruby should be used to defend against cloak, or three demonic remains. Also, and this goes out to everyone, stop building comet towers. To defend against remains. They’re way too overkill and not worth the 125k wood investment. Three ultra-flame towers do the same amount of damage per second as one comet tower, but it’s still overkill. Instead, upgrade to one or even two ultra-flame towers if you’re deciding to build a comet tower before 35 minutes.
    - 36:00-end
    o You pretty much died because your engineers and human were silenced. Practice distancing your slayer away from the wall and out of reach from the vampire’s silence range.
    o Lastly, you had 200k wood when your wall broke, what were you saving up for? You could’ve used this money to upgrade your wall to diamond (if you started saving up earlier), armour upgrades, or even more towers.

Rugarus likes this.
  6. Rugarus

Thanks for the tips, as for the wood. I made two more gold mines or upgraded them I'm not sure, but I made them and as I did I realized that was a bad idea and should of went diamond. But after I did so I had no wood for diamond, so all that 200k was earned while he killed my base. Interesting about the fangs being cycloned. I actually new that from playing vamp I've cycloned slayer/fang to blink in, but I put fangs there from habit. I guess you really need citadel before 25 otherwise they can inferno rain on feed boxes, or cyclone slayer/fangs. I appreciate you taking the time to write that all up, I'll be sure to work on all that you suggested.

7. Kronoss

Kronoss The Lord Titan
    Legend + Donator +

While skills are important, it's also VERY important to have a good behavior, be nice, friendly and so on. You may be a great player skill-wise, but if your attitude overall is bad then you won't be accepted.
    That being said, it doesn't mean you shouldn't improve your skills.

TakeThis and DaveAzoicer like this.
  8. qwezxv

qwezxv New poster
    VFG Members

IMHO, the decision to make comet or not should come down to
    (1) How comfortable you are with your defense holding against 2-3 remains and/or
    (2) If your base is large enough to support two-three ultra flames instead of 1 comet.

For some of us that use extremely small bases, such as the top of spiral or other ingenious spot, sometimes making 1 Blood Tower + 1 Frost Tower + 1 Poison Tower + 1 Comet tower is all the space we can allocate for offense.

9. Rugarus

Thanks.

10. Rugarus

edit: nvm

11. onkelz

onkelz Basic Harvester
    Guardians VFG Members Donator

@Rugarus if you need help to learn the game just ask me :) <3

12. xutopia

xutopia New poster

OMG THIS IS SO CUTE!!! <3

13. Waterwalker007

Waterwalker007 Lord Of The Sea
    Staff Member Shaman VFG Members Donator

LOL "I hope to join the VFG team someday, but I really need to improve my skills. "

2 years later, Still waiting for skills to be improved

-Team VFG

#13 Waterwalker007, Mar 21, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 21, 2018
    thefenixcdc and Genoside like this.
  14. Rugarus

So it was Ping that turned me into the player I am now. Haha :D

Pedram, onkelz and Waterwalker007 like this.
  15. kaka85

kaka85 Basic Harvester
    + Donator +

:O ...impressive!!!

16. NaturalCauzes

NaturalCauzes The Fallen Angel
    Guardians Legend Shaman SysOp VFG Members Moderator Champion

Rofl, Ruggy getting exposed here

Waterwalker007 and Genoside like this.
  17. Genoside

Genoside Donators
    Donator

PM me on discord for beginers tip
    kappa

xutopia, thefenixcdc, Rugarus and 2 others like this.
  18. Th3.J0K3R

Th3.J0K3R Furbolg Harvester

19. onkelz

onkelz Basic Harvester
    Guardians VFG Members Donator

20. Sharp.

Sharp. Furbolg Harvester
    Guardians VFG Members

onkelz likes this.