1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What if Force Awakens is bad?

Discussion in 'Community Chat' started by Kronoss, Dec 11, 2015.

1. Wizz4rd

Wizz4rd Members

It is a decent movie. I liked the previous ones more, though.
    Way too many special effect/senseless shooting scenes now and less plot... at least stormtroopers hit their targets now xD

2. Shadowly

Shadowly Maphack Hunter
    Guardians VFG Members

She didn't wear bikinis in episode IV...

3. Selis

Selis Members

I thought it was terrible, with all kinds of new weird things happening against the laws of physics. That they kept the old problems for consistency's sake is one, but they added a buttload of new ones (e.g., the movement of that new drone-friend.)

I also liked the stormtroopers at the start very much though!

4. King_Crusher

King_Crusher Firespawn Deforester

If you by "drone-friend" mean BB-8, you are wrong. It does not go against the laws of physics at all, because it is a real robot...

bLz.Raul, DaveAzoicer and Kronoss like this.
  5. Selis

Selis Members

6. Kronoss

Kronoss The Lord Titan
    Legend + Donator +

Debatable.

Star Wars is not a science movie (and has never ever claimed to be one) where everything needs to be according to the laws of physics when the whole universe is based on this all powerful Force that has a Light and a Dark side and people can shoot lightning out of their hands, kill people by putting 2 fingers together or with just a wave of their hand send entire platoons flying into a wall - pretty sure it's not possible according to the laws of physics.

What you determine as "flaw" is not a flaw, because the "flaw" goes against the very thing the whole Star Wars universe is based on.

DaveAzoicer likes this.
  7. Selis

Selis Members

Fair enough, although BB-8 appears to be using rolling as method of displacement.

It's a personal quirk I guess, I just can't stand it when movies do things contrary to what we already know to be true (and have the pretense of being realistic: Star Wars does not have this pretense, so I think your point is more valid than mine).

It's grown on me slowly, from movies nuking falling asteroids while they're falling (the scattered pieces deliver the exact same amount of energy, and should still obliterate and sterilize any living thing) to 'rebooting' the Sun with nukes (again, nukes seem to feature predominantly in these things).

I mean, how hard is it to call a physicist and at least make sure you're not obviously stupid.

But yeah, a non-issue with Star Wars. And I really did like the storm troopers. Almost wish they'd redo the entire series in a 'darker' style.

Perhaps I'll watch it again in a few months and see if I will revisit my original stance on not caring much for it.

PS. Not entirely related but I was/am a huge big enormous fan of Star Wars Jedi Knight: Mysteries of the Sith (an old game). One of the better FPS-es in my opinion, with the depth the forces added. Haven't really seen something as enjoyable since, so hopefully they'll make a themed game and get it right again.

8. Loathed

Loathed The President-Elect of VFG
    Legend Donator

In movies that are based on scifi, that are supposed to be fantastic and impossible I find it odd to complain about laws of physics, however I find myself often being annoyed at such things myself in movies that aren't scifi/fantasy. For example I dislike seeing bullets stream past people underwater when a person dives to avoid getting shot, the bullets won't stream past you, they'll obliterate on impact with water, so it's even safer in reality to dive under water than in the movies.

9. Legacy

Legacy The Smurf Killer and Lord of the Lords
    Legend Donator

Loathed that depends on the gun used, pistols would go alittle bit down the water, but the higher caliber and firepower the closer to the surface, they will obliterate on impact.
    At least they tested this in mythbusters, where it would not go so deep, and also it depends on the angle you shot at because directly above, could kill you even if you are quite deep.

10. bLz.Raul

bLz.Raul Firespawn Deforester
    VFG Members Donator Member

Yeah I guess it's all that reflection refraction physics shit :D

What I didn't like about the movie is that it gave me this impression it tries to follow nowadays trend where there is a shit load of action and much less focus on content. I wish the movie was a bit more... "calm" and not fighting/running/moving scenes all the time.

11. NaturalCauzes

NaturalCauzes The Fallen Angel
    Guardians Legend Shaman SysOp VFG Members Moderator Champion

What I didnt like is that a non-jedi used a lightsaber. Its supposed to be this highly sophisticated weapon that can only be wielded by Jedi and then Fin just uses it and surprisingly well for no training.

12. bLz.Raul

haha I thought about that too... he can't control the force though. The same applies to Rey... she could use the saber as well without training. What's bothering me is that they made the lightsaber cuts unrealistic... it's like you get scratched with it instead of cut in two pieces :D :D

13. NaturalCauzes

I can understand that Rey knows how to use it because shes been fighting with a staff and has the force.

Fin has been a Storm Trooper his whole life and now suddenly can decently fight with a saber, I call bullshit.

14. bLz.Raul

yeah but the cuts man!! the fucking cuts... they are scratches... Finn should've lost something (probably half of himself) when he was hit by the saber... Instead he was scratched and felt down :D

15. Selis

Selis Members

I hate it on sci-fi movies that are supposed to be in our era, and not intended to be futuristic or fantasy type sci-fi (which Star Wars is, I think).

Didn't know bullets did that. Pretty sure you can shoot fish in a barrel (but it's really hard). Guessing it depends on the angle and forces involved? But yeah, exactly those things :)

I always thought anyone could use it as a sword, but a Jedi can have a type of precognition and therefore also use it as a shield. A normal person would not be able to do that, so it's about as effective versus ranged weapons as a piece of paper would be.

So it'd be basically like bringing a sword to a gunfight.

16. I_AM_ALEX

I_AM_ALEX Members

iv seen the Movie at the teater and its Amazing , its funny , action packed and the characters are awesome i mean its harrison ford......rest my case.. :p

17. Khadgar

Khadgar The Archmage

I have only ever seen a part of a Star Wars episode, is it worth watching this movie?

18. NaturalCauzes

To get quite a bit of the humour you would need to have seen the previous ones. So unless you binge watch all of them. No

19. Selis

Selis Members

Theater brings more to the mix, and can make even poor movies feel pretty good. I watched the Hobbit's second part at the movies (3D), and it was awesome. When I watch it again it feels okayish. At the theater I could actually spend a while just taking in the scenery, too.

If only they weren't so bloody expensive.

20. I_AM_ALEX

I_AM_ALEX Members

u can definetley just right into this one , there will be Another 2-3 Movies released , seing this Movie rly brings forth the lust to see all the old episodes again ! im over joyed they decided to refresh this series!